click on pictures for a larger view.




Thursday, October 21, 2010

Put Up Your Dukes


Put Up Your Dukes

Oil on Birch panel, 2010, 5"x 7"

sold

Todays painting is of an action figure I had as a child. Capt. Maddox, he was part of Johnny Wests crew. These figures were based on the time when people started settling and expanding the U.S. into the "wild" west. Capt. Maddox is a Union soldier turned Indian fighter, but in my Johnny West land everybody got along, either that or the Indians would win and absolutely slaughter everyone. I've been fascinated by this time period after the civil war and the western U.S. in particular. I don't know if these toys started this fascination or if I was attracted to the toys because I liked the old west. Also, the shadow reminds me of a Keith Haring figure, an artist who I admired very much.
#55

No comments: