click on pictures for a larger view.




Sunday, May 9, 2010

Boxers


Boxers

Oil on birch panel, 2010, 5"x 7"


Todays painting is of two boxers duking it out. Compositionally, I like the way the ref is striding between the two fighters, also I like how high older men like him, back in the forties and fifties wore their pants. A friend of mine boxed and it is one brutal sport. It takes amazing skill and discipline but also seems very sad as the only way to make something of your self in some circumstances is to beat the crap out of somebody else. Some people claim to love the beauty in the skill involved, but I suspect they also want a bloodbath. Personally, I love the beauty in the skill involved (read into that what you want). Boxing today, just isn't as important as it was 25 years ago and beyond. I suspect it has something to do with the gun as the great equalizer, the skill of fighting isn't something you have to respect or admire anymore.

#7

No comments: